Monday, April 22, 2024

The coconut trees in Castle St






Decades ago I decided on a whim to plant two Deejay graft coconut trees at the back of our Castle Street house with the boys. There was a friend named Everest who was working with Deejays at the time looking after their coconut project. He works in the Middle East today looking after their date farms.

"We have space for two trees," I said and one day the door bell rang and there stood Everest with our two coconut saplings. They cost  a princely 10 rupees each and the boys and I had fun digging the pits at the back and putting down the trees.
 
"They are two different species,"said Everest and only after they grew and fruited did I understand what he meant. The front tree had huge fruit and the back tree smaller and greener fruit. Supposed grafts which are meant to be short, these have grown more than 20 feet tall.






 Narsimappa de-husks the coconuts with an easy de-husker bought off Amazon.


The first tree grew very fast.  Giving two fruit in one year. It was so exciting to see how rapidly the trees grew and  threw out sprays of flowers and fruit. The first tree gave massive fruit. If one fruit fell on anyone they would surely die. They were at least 2 kg a fruit. The fruit had an orangey hue and the kernels were thick and delicious. All our friends asked for them and Mum made her famous coconut sweet for Christmas with  freshly grated ones. Never forget her lime and coconut stuffed pan rolls which she made for Shrove Tuesday with our coconuts. I really miss my parents.



Today the trees are over 20 feet tall

Lucky for us Narsimappa and the boys especially Naveen can shin up the tree and remove the fruit. Twice a year we get a massive crop of fruit from just one tree. The second tree has stuck itself out over the back wall into Shoolay and the whole road feasts on our trees.Its hard but we have no option as the entire tree is over the back plot of land which belongs to them.



Freshly opened the husks are white and become brown over time

I have started selling the coconuts on a whatssapp group and am so surprised by immediate sales when the fruit have barely been brought into the house. Ten cleaned coconuts and they were gone in seconds to a friend on Rest House Road at a decent price.  The tender coconuts I have to hide as I can drink them by the gallon. "May I have 12 please?"says Bela or "May I have 10 please," says Suchita or "may I have 8 please for Peter," and Porter or Dunzo are at the door flying them across the city to my buyers.