Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Ravi and Sridevi tenants of 001

 


Ravi and Sri Devi our tenants for 5 years and now good friends

Suddenly I got a call from a clear speaking gentleman one evening, all of 6 years ago, asking to rent our Ground  floor apartment here in Hayes Road. He had seen my ad on Magic Bricks and decided to take a chance and call. In minutes he had set up a meeting for the next evening as he needed to tie up an apartment so that he and his wife Sri Devi could shift in. Ravi was a Director of a bank in Singapore and looked forward to heading a new bank being set up in Bangalore. 



Heliconias in Hoskote.

So the next day on the dot of a pre-planned time we met in our apartment and discussed if either of us wanted to rent or vice versa. He had his own flat in Rajajinagar but he was not happy with the quality of neighbours in the building who were loud and crass he said. Our building with its laid back peaceful nature was more what they were looking for, after living in Singapore. 



 The Indian Almond in Hoskote

I will get the lease printed on stamp paper by tomorrow if you send it to me by email said Ravi. And in minutes we had shaken hands and we knew we had good people coming to join the Hayes Community.  By nightfall the next evening he had come in and signed the lease agreement and they would shift in from Singapore, he said, in a week. And that was the start of a wonderful friendship.


Apples growing in Hoskote

The five years they lived here I was so amazed with Ravis prowess with cooking cordon bleu dishes. "I cook to de-stress after a long day at work," he would say.  

"Please do de-stress often," I would say, as the fruits of his sessions were always shared with us.Prawn or fish, pork or mutton, the dishes were varied and delicious. 

"Could you get me some tamarind leaves,"he would say and obligingly we would pull out some from just beyond our windows. In a few hours a delicious tamarind prawn concoction would arrive steaming hot into our home which was enjoyed with fluffy, fresh rice.


A chameleon trying to scare me!

Their home was like a gorgeous museum as Ravi was into antiques and bought the most marvelous, priceless stuff from all over the world. His biggest collection was statues of Buddha collected from all over the world. Hundreds and thousands of them filled every nook and corner of the apartment. No wonder no servant could be trusted to clean, when they went travelling to the US to see their only doctor daughter.  


 

The organic brinjal crop in Hoskote.

Infact after my younger brother passed away it was Ravi who helped me with handling the bank work as my brothers son ( that too is debatable) was a hindrance, being no help when it came to a recognised death certificate. He just sat on his hands demanding the money as an inheritor. I had to run from pillar to post to get one -- all he wanted was the money with no set documentation which all banks and auditors need. I can never thank Ravi enough for helping me close my brothers account and transfer the funds into the boys account.


Tabibuea Argentea infront of our Castle St home

So whenever they visit Bangalore they feel its imperative to see us over a meal and bring us a bag full of goodies from Hyderabad. What amazes me is they never fail to give their former cook and helpers a meal and a gift of cash when they visit. 

"Is Raju the security gaurd still with you?"asks Ravi as we get up to leave.

"Yes! ofcourse!" I say and he makes a detour before going to the airport to give him Rs 5000/-

"We love Pilerne!"they say, "and it took us a long time to get used to Hyderabad after being spoiled here."

I just hope our new tenants feel the same way when they leave Hayes.