Friday, January 17, 2020

Ears being pierced, Tennessee, US


Exciting time for Lil Alaina For over four years I kept buying the cutest gold earrings for both my grand- daughters. One in the UK and one in the US. Both just cursorily looked at them when I handed them over and never gave them a second thought, much to my chagrin. The mothers of course being Indian loved their separate gifts and displayed them in their ears while I visited. That however did not stop the little ones looking at the jewellery I wore and saying, quite artlessly -- “can you keep them for me when you die!” Both mothers reacted with shock and reprimanded them, while my sons laughed and said, they are shameless hussies, quite indulgently. One DIL even said,” Gnama will give away her jewelry to the poor in India, if you worry her again!” to shocked whines and tears! They are only six years old. Babies in my mind and I don’t have the heart to correct them. I am glad they are open about their likes and wants, unlike us at that age, who had to be seen and not heard. We could only look from afar with mouths zipped. Then fight over the stuff once our parents passed! I am giving away all my jewelry before I die and all my possessions will be divided so there is no fighting afterwards.
Delightful Unicorn earrings for a little girl. The last visit which I recently made, I had ordered the cutest Unicorn earrings for one of the girls and Lady bird earrings for the other. However there was a tearful response on Face -Time when I showed it to one of them, before I left India. “ Noooooooo! I want pendants, I will never pierce my ears. Maybe when I turn 18.” She said dramatically. To my equally dramatic response -- “ But by then Gnama will be dead!”
Cheerful before the shot! To cover for my misdeeds of buying yet another pair of earrings, I bought the little one a pendant and gave them all to her. That invited a drubbing down by her mother, but I covered for her saying it was unimportant and to let her be. She will decide on her own if she wants to pierce her ears or not. Can you imagine my utter shock, when she suddenly pronounces, the day before my leaving the US last week --” Gnama, lets go to Claire’s in the mall and get my ears pierced.” I was flabergasted but wasted no time incase she changed her mind. What excitement throbbed through me, as I flew to dress and grab my coat, slip on my shoes and we were off with my DIL driving, straight after her school was out.
Underway with her ear lobes deadened with solution But, when we reached Claire’s and she got onto the high chair,it felt like I was getting my ears pierced. I was really tense when we reached Claire’s and it grew worse when the shop assistant started getting her ready to get the job done. First mother, daughter and gnama had to choose what earrings she wanted put in. One had to buy the first pair from the store which was inserted with the piercing. She chose a butterfly, but sadly they were out of them. Then my DIL chose simple tiny fake solitaires and they matched my very first solitaires I had put into my ears.
All done and time to bravely admire her ears. “You do know that you have to pierce both ears, and not just one,” said her Mum sternly. The worry was if she felt the pain too intense she might just refuse to get the second one done. Getting her que from that, the shop assistant cleverly corralled another assistant, even though she was on lunch break and they did the most amazing feat ever, in my eyes. They both stood on either side of her after marking the correct spots on each ear lobe. Then simultaneously they pricked her ears and made the piercings together.
Little diamonds sparkle out of her ears The little one did cry with the sharpness of the pain but it was just for a few seconds. I think it shocked her more than anything else. Then her kind hearted Mum told her to choose whatever she wanted in the store and Claire’s is expensive. Finally she walked out with, yet another, probably the hundreth, rainbow UNICORN! Do little girls ever tire of them? On their clothes, on their shoes, on their pencils, their markers, their socks and undies and dresses and night wear. It’s just mind-boggling how they love those dratted rainbow unicorns!

No comments:

Post a Comment