Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pochampalli Exotica!



Suddenly with the first rains two pots in the garden have sprouted these beautiful leaves while the second leaf is in waiting- like a little flute fixed to the side. I was given a few bulbs by a friend from Hyderabad probably 8 years ago and year after year the plant sprouts its leaves at this time with the first April showers!

Sending off the picture to a tree group that I belong to, a Neil Soares got back telling me that it was called the Kaempferia pulchra. That sounds like Greek to most of us so I asked neil again for the common name and this is what he said - " Have no interest in Exotics & Garden plants but anyway it is the Pretty Resurrection Lily."

For me that was looking at the plant differently, as just today in church we were told that this is Holy Week leading upto Easter! And with Easter comes the resurrection of a crucified Christ as we believe.

However I do like to think of the plant as the Pochampalli plant because I did get it from Hyderabad and the markings on the leaf do look like the Ikkat weave.And the person who gave it to me called it that!!

In a few days, once more leaves appear, beautiful mauve flowers will bloom amidst the leaves and make the plant a stunning sight to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment