Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Hydrangeas in S Carolina

 

Mum loved hydrangeas. I never understood her craziness over the flower in New Delhi till I saw them in Davids Garden in London and in Andy's layout in Cleveland Forest. As I went for my jog everyday up and down the hills, I couldn't help but admire the pristine white hydrangeas in most gardens. Just the uniform white flower in boring similarity in all gardens.  I particularly liked the huge hedge of them in one garden on the way to the kids school. 





A bank of white hydrangeas!

Then the senior guy who lived in the corner massive house decided to do up his garden. A whole team was called in to landscape his garden and last year I watched the whole garden being ripped apart including trimming of the massive oaks. I loved watching them work putting in a crazy paving path and lawns were unrolled in carpets of emerald, green. Of course I had to jog past as it was on the way to Mr Fig tree loaded with figs that I gobbled up by the hands full, beating Mr and Mrs Cardinal to the biggest and the best figs.



Look at them up close. They are breathtaking!

David's hydrangeas are a pale Robin egg blue. I sank a pile of old nails near its roots and the blue grew darker! He's not too fond of them but agreed to buying one, for a cheap one pound, in a local market for me. The plant is 10 times its size now growing in his compost like soil. And I sink iron bits around its soil to enjoy the changing flower colour.