Friday, November 13, 2020

Cooking can be fun!




 I seriously did not know how to cook as I had no interest in learning as a young woman. My sister Christine kept the home fires burning along with a cook woman or Mum. Over time it did not change as I had a cook woman who would handle the kitchen after we were married and Mum would keep sending me pickles and jams and squashes. Once it was Christmas I still never had to bother as she made a share of every sweet for me.


I began by looking through the fabulous “ Cooking Without Tears” a book with over 100 recipes by Daisy Rozario. Daisy was the Sri Lankan grandmother of my cousins in Mumbai and one of my cousins sent me her book. Her recipes were sure fire and I was on my way soon enough with her support.





Over time I collected Tarla Dalal cookery books and used them when cooking up for parties and baking for the boys birthdays. The boys birthdays were the highlight of my life as we had the most wonderful birthday parties as kids. Dad bought me a fabulous cake book from Australia on a trip and many a cake was produced to the joy of the boys from this book. It has now been given to my DIL in the UK, who was thrilled with it and who loves to bake her own like me.


THEN overnight I turned into a Grandma and went visiting my sons and their families. As soon as they saw me they expected me to turn out the most delicious Indian delicacies in both the US and UK. Both wives could not cook like me at their age. It was crazy, but I never say die. I took on the challenge especially when I saw a Indian cook in action in my son's home, in the UK pouring in great big quantities of oil and ghee into their food. Wow! The kids were headed for heart attacks and that would not do.





My sister's MIL was a great cook with delicious Anglo Indian fusion recipes. I have perfected her Meat Loaf and Peanut brittle in the boys home when I visit. Always had a large chunk of meat loaf in the fridge for the hungry boys sandwiches. Both recipes look so professional and suit the milder palates of the grandkids. The whole house is redolent with the smell of the meat loaf when I make it, especially since the beef and pork mince one gets in the UK is top quality.


Ofcourse I carry my own rajma and channa, atta and rice, masalas and sometimes onions too, as the onions in the West and garlic too, are nowhere like ours. They are big and fat and tasteless, unless they are grown in Tennessee in my friends garden there. I sometimes carry her garlic back home!





Now I have begun to make pickles like my Mum did. I save all the glass bottles and use them for my pickles. Avoid plastic as it reacts with the acidity of the pickle and one does not know what cancer causing chemicals we ingest. Glass is safe and I am glad we are realising the dangers of plastic in our lives.


Today I have made both Brinjal ( egg plant) and Amla pickle. The Brinjal I am an old hand at it now and have a fool proof recipe and Anglo Indian friend gave me. I make huge bottles of the stuff for both Daughters-in-law who love it and save it to savour over the months.





Recently after buying my groceries online from Naamdharis, I began making Amla  ( Indian gooseberry) pickle as well. It’s absolutely delicious and good for the system too in these Covid times. It’s fun making these pickles especially after tasting my ground floor tenants gift of Ginger pickle. That’s next on my to do list, and hopefully can come close to Ravi’s Cordon Bleu standard of cooking.