Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Writing kiddy books and other novels


The girls two books getting posted out faster than I can keep up Once upon a time--- once upon a time -- she always started her stories with --” once upon a time”. My maternal grandmum, Ethel Pereira, who was young and plump and smelled of lavender talcum powder always sat on the bedroom steps and told us stories every night. Sometimes it was in the light of the huge big moon and thats where I learnt to see a rabbit in the moon! She was always laughing and joking with us, especially solemn eldest me and always stitching the most delightful dresses for both my sister Christine and me. My maternal grandfather Michael Pereira was a slim and gentle soul who had the most amazing collection of books on a revolving bookshelf. We could lie on the diwans for hours, my sister and me and read his whole collection of Perry Masons and Sherlock Holmes and his only diktat was -- no reading while you eat and no turning down pages, here are bookmarks.
Weighing and telling us the cost of postage in the Richmond Town PO Grandma Ethel’s stories definitely have played a huge role in my evolving as a writer. I write for a living for decades and get paid by the word. First as a journalist and now teaching writing skills among other subjects to PG journalists in Mount Carmel’s College, Jyoti Nivas College and ofcourse St. Joseph’s college, Bangalore. So one day when I was faced with suddenly turning into a grandmother myself and immediately having to tell stories to keep the little girls engaged, where did I search for ideas?? Of Course my grandmother’s wonderful tales. They were as one could say, my spring-board for my font of stories which I told Alaina and Natalie and I loved to see their still faces, concentrating on my words and their eyes, imagining my far fetched tales!
Bonny and I had fun making up the packets to post. Both have very successful Dads who never grudge them anything. No food or drink, no toys or books, no holidays and trips, it was hard for me as a grandmum to think of gifts for them. My sons do not allow fetishes but they do not stint on buying them stuff ever. So I decided one day to write them a special story with them and their Dads in it -- get it personally illustrated and give it to them for Christmas. It was expensive -- not my story, that flowed out like a stream from my mind but the illustrations and the digital printing. Each story had to be read by the artist who was my colleague in Deccan Herald. An absolute professional. I loved Yathish work as he had done my earlier kiddy book -- The One Eyed Ogre and other stories. I wanted ONLY him to do my illustrations. Ofcourse I sent him pictures to show him what a cardinal looked like or a dandelion flower, or even Davids house and garden! But it was a bad thing because the first book for Alaina got done only in six months. And the book for Natalie TWO years -- I kid you not! The reason was simple, his computer crashed and lost most of his work which he had completed. It was hard for him to pick up and get back, but he did, the poor guy and I waited, patiently.
My next book on the table which is 15 stories long! Finally both books are DONE and before the girls can see them, they are getting sold and are almost sold out! It’s exciting to see how many packages my husband and myself have made and taken them down to the Richmond Town PO and speed posted them. Expensive? Yes Of Course! I am not making back my money, but who cares -- I want kids to read them and treasure them! The books are expensive because the artist costs around 10 k and the digital printing another 18 k cause I want only imported art paper and a laminated cover! If you want the best, you pay big money, and that's ok. Might as well give them a legacy.I know 100 books are the expensive bit cause if I printed 500 it would cost less.
Fun reading my books at kiddy schools in the city. So, for my next book -- yes, I have written a 15 story book now which is on the table getting done, I used an old friend as illustrator who lives in Goa. I chanced on Air Marshall Giles Gomez at a show in Bangalore and we had schooled in sister institutions -- he in St Columbas and I in Jesus and Mary School , New Delhi. He had taken voluntary retirement with his airforce doc wife and bought the family home in Goa and refurbished it to modern standards. Over lunch he told me he was enjoying cartooning which was his hobby and that’s when I jumped in, both feet forward. Could he do the cartoons for my “Boysterous Living” my 15 story book which was all about the pranks my boys had been upto which was especially for all four kids now -- Alaina, Aiden, Natalie and Arthur. All about their Dads and their uncle Steven. Giles raced through the sketches in a month. But, finding a graphic designer to do the layout which Yatish did for me always as part of the job was tough. Finally I am working with GAAP Communications -- a friend who is putting the book together while I Plan how many copies I want. Seeing how the single story books flew off the shelves I am making 500 this time for sure.
My book on Parkinsons in 2019 My sweet daughter-in-law ( more a daughter) Annika has packed my suitcase with beautiful gift sacks as they call them in the US. Those who are coming home to collect get a sack and those I have to post get a cloth lined envelope from on top of the road. Meanwhile I keep getting alerts from all my friends who have ordered, that the books in Bangalore have reached safely and they are so excited to have them. It’s a lovely feeling being a creative writer. It is a gift that one can hone over the years and brings you such a lot of good will and satisfaction. And I know it was my Dad who prodded me on with my first book-- Above the Ricefields of Pilerne. I took 10 years to finish it, well after he died but that was the start.
The book that started the deluge Today I don't need prodding -- books pour out of me and they keep me busy for most of the year besides my lectures in college. It’s a good life to enjoy one’s work, then its entertainment and not work.

No comments:

Post a Comment