Thursday, April 5, 2018

Innovative gardening is the need of the hour


My son and his family live in Tennessee. So I visit every year, sometimes twice a year. When he lived in Nebraska I was not so gungho to go there as the winters are extreme and the summer no less. But here in Tennessee the weather is more conducive to gardening which is what keeps me occupied while I visit.
The first to show are the day lillies in the back yard. They grow vigourously and are very low maintenance. What is difficult is the weeding between the clumps. when we water and fertilize, we encourage the weeds to grow up, especially the grass which intrudes from the lawn.
So this time my son who had bought planting fabric and pine straw from Home Depot asked for help to keep the beds weed free. It took a long time to free the beds of weeds and then between us we laid the fabric. Then he cut out holes in the fabric to let the lillies peep out. Have a look in the picture above at the effort and time spent, but, it helps to keep the place weed free for the season! In the west there are no maalis like we have who weed and clean all day long. One has to do it oneself OR hire a gardening service which is very expensive. As my son says anyway Mum it gives me a good workout and I will do it as long as I am young.

No comments:

Post a Comment