Tuesday, September 6, 2022

The little roadside library.

                                               

                                                             The little roadside library

 It's such a fun idea and only in the US where people are intrinsically honest can such a concept thrive. The little roadside library which is stocked generously with great books -- by the entire areas homes. The concept is very simple as you can read below the picture -- take a book and give a book. And thats how my 2 1/2 months flew by in Greenville.

I am a voracious reader and can watch movies intermittently. Only a book can hold my attention and so harassing Annika to drive me to a library I felt was infringing on her spare time. So it was with much excitement that I noticed this little library when I was out walking in the fancy neighbourhood that they live in called Cleveland forest.

I would stare in wonder at the fabulous homes in the neighbourhood and realised that my son was living in a posh address like ours on Hayes Road. Dad always told us about the value of a god address and the boys have luckily imbibed that from him. Both have bought in posh localities thereby keeping themselves and their families safe.



                                                     The cutest thing ever!

So once I was done with my book I would walk down and exchange it for another. Ofcourse I had to begin the cycle with one of my own. So I put in an Indian ( British) author Anita Desai with her " Inheritance of Loss" What a book and I wanted other readers to get out of their comfort zone and read a bit about our culture.

Ofcourse in no time when the homes around saw me patronising the library it was being mysteriously filled with just amazing books. It was a good feeling to see top quality books which were probably bought from COSTCO being left there for me to enjoy. 

You see we are the only brown family in the neighbourhood and we were living or my son owned Mr Cleveland's home -- the guy who in centuries past promulgated that no coloureds could live in the neighbourhood!! Well my son bought his house and I hope hes turning in his grave! Life comes full circle so don't push your luck!