Sunday, October 11, 2020

Online classes bane or boon?



                                       One of the assignments in a session

 The question being raised is -- are online classes a bane or a boon?Well! For me it's a huge boon ‘cause I don’t need to travel and can work comfortably at home and lecture in three different colleges and two schools all at the same time.


REALLY?? That’s a tall one my friend in Dubai said. But it’s perfectly true! I have even been an external examiner for PG theses in St Joseph’s College. Infact I had a jealous SIL yell oh she just lies that she is teaching in college. Hilarious and to be ignored’ as I always do.


On some days I take online classes with JNC -- no more travelling and killing myself to get to the college in Koramangala.  Instead, five minutes before time I dress, put on some lipstick and perfume just for fun and I’m on -- Microsoft Teams no less. Each class has around 50 to 60 girls.


Mount Carmels College requires me for three hour sessions on Saturdays from 10 to 1 which can get taxing, but I give them a small break between assignments. Imagine taking 61 girls in a class online and everyone of them has to concentrate and be online for the whole session.


MCC likes their classes recorded and its so easy to take attendance. Just a click and I can download the video and the same for the attendance -- no yelling and calling out names!



One of the MCC classes which start with a few and in minutes the class is full


St. Joseph’s Boys School 11th standard  which has turned co-ed now also come on for classes on sustainability. The classes are fun and I sometimes get parents joining in as well! After all the kids are at home with Mums and Dads listening in. I dont care, very often parents need the education too!


And the latest is Sophia School who all want to learn about sustainable living and Climate Change and all that our planet needs to survive our onslaught. A Sister Prabha liases with me, the only religious person. The rest are all HODs of their departments and are on whatsapp with me. Rs 1000 bucks an hour is a pretty good remuneration per hour and I do it more for the thrill of teaching a cross section of age groups. 


Oh Yes! Fr Saji from JNC too liases, but then I met him when I went to the college and took physical classes earlier this year. I do miss the Media rooms of those very upmarket colleges but this is easier for me.



Johnny's Wind farm in Chitradurga


 Each class has around 50-60 girls and I teach them the way I was taught in Europe and not our old fashioned top - down Indian approach. Assignments on birds and native trees, Rain Water Harvesting and Composting, Controversial science and conservation, and ofcourse renewable energy. I love telling them about our Danish tenant Johnny Lauridsen who came here to set up a Wind Farm in Chitradurga with Indian engineers. The wonder of renewables which are free and will always be perennially clean and there for us.



World Bank Funding has helped farmers across Hoskote to RWH


I bring pictures from the farm in Hoskote to show them how we Rain Water Harvest there and have become water sustainable. How the World Bank has supported farmers to RWH and the village economy has picked up. I used to collect our old brooms in the building to take to the school there. Now they can afford to buy their own as crops are doing well with water.  


Yes I am busy, so I don't understand when people say “COVID” we are bored. I am busier than I ever was with COVID locking us down and that's great. Long live online classes. My son works online in one room while I work quite happily in another!