Friday, October 2, 2020

Education does give you that edge





 Over the years after having returned to my family home and dealing with community living and power struggles, one realises that education does give you that edge. With education one gets a greater sense of discipline: The regimens of education can instill you with the discipline required in the professional  and ordinary world. By learning to follow complex instructions and meet strict deadlines, you will be better prepared for the rigours of handling nasty and petty people with a false sense of power.


Plus one feels a sense of accomplishment: Each time you complete a job task, or quelling a silly situation in the building, it’s the product of your education received and logical thinking which has been released in your brain.


Yesterday my sister-in-law who has a false sense of power, called in the local police citing a reason which in the real world holds no water. The police arrived at the gate and our security guard rang our door bell and asked me to come down to the gate. I refused -- who were the police to call me to the gate? They had no right to do that. So, they arrived at my door with SIL hiding away.


We opened the door to find five officers standing sheepishly outside. “ Madam, I have been told you got these two servants to sign a blank sheet of paper.” The officer asked to see the ‘blank’ page which I had purportedly made the servants sign under duress.



“ Just a minute ,” I said, let me bring you the ‘blank’ sheet!

In minutes I went to my escritoire and took out the letter. The officers face changed colour and he said -- where’s the woman who made the complaint, this letter is  fine. Please read it out to all he asked and I did. I said I manage five flats in the building, three are mine. I do not want these women taking these cheap letters with no substance to my tenants. Infact one of my tenants shouted at the women and so their faces are small.


In a few minutes I read the very clear letter I had written and got the servants to sign.  I had even taken the trouble to explain it to them before they signed it. It was in legal jargon which I have learned through the various petty cases I am fielding in the building.

The officer realised that he had been called on what he termed a ‘silly’ matter and in minutes told the women to leave and go and do their work. The long tirade he made as they left  made them scuttle away quickly.

The next time such a incident happens said my lawyers, pull out your press card, the police cannot harass you at your door. I was calm and replied to all I was asked while the SIL and other sibling yelled and screamed and had to be told to shut it by the officer. As soon as it dawned on him that this was a kerfuffle in a teacup, a family matter as he put it, he left with his entourage, ofcourse trying to bring in advice about the lift and other matters. That remains as advice.





The beauty who caused the scuffle was enraged as she saw her power bubble had been deflated. In true fashion had to yell parting shots -- “ this family is rotten!” But it’s fine to reap the benefits right? Collect the moolah! Hilarious.  Greedy people who have come from cheap sub strata back grounds.


As you can see, the benefits of higher education in the 21st century are not just career-oriented but being able to develop yourself is invaluable, and having a higher education helps you do that. I found with education, my parents for example never got into petty quarrels or discussions with stray people. They kept their distance and did not really engage with people of a sub-strata.


An International degree which I have had a curriculum that spans across various geographical domains rather than limiting itself to a particular country. Hence a student graduating with such a degree will have vast know-how of the world. This gives you exposure that no other indigenous university can offer.


Interactions that you have with people from different cultures and ethnicities improve your understanding of how people work, what drives them, what motivates them, what they fear and what they love. The power struggle of recently arrived in the property, spouses can be handled deftly with education.


This is where an international degree gives you an advantage on what works and what doesn’t in the world.

Next round gloves up for a knockout blow. There is a lot to answer for, not just sheets of paper! I think my Dad and Grandpa would be pleased.