Sunday, May 17, 2020

Secret Seven in the UK


Box Park near Croydon station Several years ago when I first started going to visit David and Rashme in the UK, I also factored in seeing old Bangalorean friends, who also live there. Basically started with them wanting to be part of my iBrowse book club and now of Book Bound. But we have grown bigger than the book club discussions and keep in touch a lot,through FB, FaceTime and whatsapp every single day, even though I live in India. We are seven of us and over the years become thick as thieves. Infact, since we all belong to the Enid Blyton generation we call ourselves the Secret Seven!
Enjoying a meal at Box Park before the show It began with my cooking a typical desi meal and calling them over to meet in David’s home. Transport in the UK is very expensive for me a foreigner to use trying to travel around visiting them. So, I cook over the week as in the UK nothing goes rancid or bad like it does in India. I start with the meats so the sauces and masalas kick in well. And finish with the paneer and dahi vadas and on the morning ofcourse the pea pulao and raita that Mum always made for a party. I was never a fantastic cook like my sister Christine is, but over time and with those extraordinary ITC masalas which I carry, I am really happy with what I serve.
Before the Buddy Holly show in the Fair Field Hall, Croydon David is a wonderful help, taking me shopping for the ingredients and helping clean up and set up the table out on the patio. Really, my big, giant of a son is quite the sweetest ever, always ready to help and takes off the burden of seeing to everyone’s drinks as well. Ofcourse his garden makes the most wonderful backdrop. It is so pretty, like something straight out of a picture book, especially now that the landscaper has turned it into a work of art.We all sit out on his grand patio amidst the scented roses and honeysuckle falling over the bamboo from the neighbours. All my friends are gardeners and so always bring a gift of a plant for David rather than silly flowers.
The quirky pizza restaurant in Box Park The last visit my friend Averil said,” Enough M! No more cooking. Let’s all go out for a change!” So I took a train down to Battersea and met Kiran and Averil there and enjoyed wolfing down sandwiches and a cup of coffee in the lovely Battersea park. Kiran brought me HUGE wedges of chocolate cake made with Stevia knowing I am a chronic diabetic. It was to die for and need to learn how to make my own from her. Kiran by the way is as old as my eldest son David! A few days later she had organised tickets for a show and the four of us went -- Padma a doctor with the NHS, Corrinne who is retired now, Averil and me. I first met Averil at Clapham Junction station and we took a train to Croydon, where then ambled across to Box Park in Croydon. BoxPark is a food and retail park made out of old shipping containers. Built just outside East Croydon Station we met Corrine at the gate and then ambled into the park to decide what we would have for lunch.
Could the pizzas be any bigger? “ Take a look around this place called Box Park,” said Averil. “ I was keen to bring you here as you do a lot of travel writing and this place is quite unique.” Yes it would make a great story I said and straight away started snapping my pictures. Containers lined up on both sides had been creatively turned into little food joints from which we ordered what we wanted to eat. I went for Thai food as British Thai food is far superior to what we get in Bangalore. Corrinne and Averil ordered a large Pizza for the table and Padma coffees for us all. I finally landed eating Pizza while Padma and Averil demolished the Thai.
Averil Padma and me had a blast at the Buddy Holly Show Then once we were replete we walked down to the Fairfield Halls in Croydon for the Buddy Holly show. The show told the story of Buddy Holly’s rise to fame and his tragic death in a ‘plane crash in just two years of his reaching stardom. Twenty of his most beloved songs were played much to our foot stomping delight. The music is definitely my parents era, but music has no age and we enjoyed the show, well worth the expensive tickets. After the show we ambled back to the Box Park for a cup of chai or a latte for me and headed home. Doc Padma drove, so she left to find her car while Averil Corrine and me took the train. Averil kindly dropped me off to the train taking me to Woking and called David to say I was headed home. In 20 minutes I had reached and this time had the sense to walk out of the correct exit gate. David was waiting to drive me home and We stopped off at the Chinese place to collect dinner before heading home.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing valuable information, this is the best one which I have ever read, Here I’m sharing best “best pizza in croydon” details, just go through it.
    best pizza in croydon
    best pizza in town
    pizza croydon
    pizza shop croydon
    pizza shop near me

    ReplyDelete