Saturday, May 2, 2020

An athlete is for life


13 years old and breaking the Delhi State 100 metres record. It was strange but in Bangalore, when I was in the Good Shepherd School for two years, I was not much of a sports person. I think it’s probably because I was sent to school when I was underage and was competing with girls sometimes two years older. It was only when we left Bangalore for New Delhi and I was in what is considered the best girls school in India -- Convent of Jesus and Mary, Gol Daak Khana that I found my athletic prowess. By then I guess the difference in years faded away because there were different age groups and I had grown taller.
The start which Dad fine tuned to perfection Plus I was in a class filled with girls from only the top echelons of society. There was the shooting Princess from Bikaner, with the most beautiful rings I had ever seen and she would change them every single day with different sparkling stones in them. She had a governess who sat outside in the verandah all day, in a spotless white saree and saw to her food and her snacks. Girls who finally became top fashion designers like Asha Kocchar, News readers like Komal GB Singh, Hockey stars like Kiran Garewal, film stars like Valerie Pereira who became Valerie Jalal Agha, Archana Dalmia who is Sonia Gandhi’s right hand woman -- the list was endless.So naturally the spirit of competition grew in me and the urge to excel like them bubbled up.
Winning was second nature to our Delhi State team in Basketball My father was the Mysore State athletics star for years in the ‘30’s and is still remembered for his athletic and hockey prowess. Seeing me start to blossom from the Vth standard in Delhi, he began to take me out to the lawns of the Officers Mess where we lived and worked on my starts and my arm action. Everything he knew he taught me and promised me starting blocks and spikes should I win my races. I not only won my races at my first under 13 age group initiation into the track and field world, I also broke two records in the Delhi State Meet, which stood for several years in my name. Immediately from the stadium itself Dad took me to the Sports store in Connaught place and bought me my spikes and blocks. Mum would make sandwiches and bring iced lime juice and cheer from the stands. And my sister Christine would participate as well in the longer distance races.
Basketball stars yet again in the National Stadium, New Delhi I represented my state at the time which was New Delhi three times in National Games in Jullundhar, Cuttack, Orissa and Ahmedabad, Gujurat. I also played basketball for the state and enjoyed my years right through school and college winning bags of medals and cups. I believe sports teaches one discipline. Dad was an extremely disciplined man whose day was planned to the last minute. Sport taught me discipline as well and juggling several things at one time is certainly because of the quickness learned from sport. Infact I still start my day with a 2 k jog every morning including Sundays.
Winning in Baldwin Girls' School as well . this time as a young teacher. Today I see my sons too fit the same mould, where discipline is the key learned from sport. They were Asian level triathletes which was a far superior and tougher sport than either Dad or I had attempted. Today the doctor son still participates in marathons and triathlons across the country (USA) and I go cheer and watch with pride. He was to have participated in the Ironman in May which I was all booked and ready to go after attending my niece's wedding in Australia. However COVID had other plans.
Class VIII in my posh school in New Delhi. He says sport has given him the strength and endurance to be a cardiologist standing for hours doing procedures. The older boy spends his extra hours in the garden and cycles to collect his baby son from day care should he be working from home. Both boys are passing their skills down to their kids which would make my parents happy as well as my husband and me.
My gorgeous five year old then grand daughter and her Dad racing. The skills are being passed down the circle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment