Saturday, May 18, 2024

The Goa house in Pilerne

 



We originated from here -- The Furtado family

A long time ago when we were young Dad instilled in us the need to look after our ancestry. He said we must never forget our roots and where we originated from. Dad had 5 of us and a serving officers pension which was minimal in those days from the Air Force as a Wing Commander. But he always managed to look after the old house and never let any part of it crumble , even though he went there probably 4 times in a year. It was very hard for him but he still managed to do it. Going by bus, coming by bus and bussing it in Goa as well.



The Furtado chapel built by Grandpa to match the house

 So once Dad died there was no one else to look after the property as my brother John had relinquished his share by buying my Mums palatial house in Tivim. It hurt Dad that his son wanted another property and a signed deed was made at the lawyers which I registered in the Mapusa  court. When I went to study in Europe in 2006 to 2008 my youngest sister was entrusted to look after the property. Doubt she did as I had continuous calls from neighbours and cousins and that the verandah had fallen in and the garden was hugely over grown.


The old Altar which I try to keep going inspite of the termites

Once I returned to India I retook over the house but then she refused to help with looking after it. I had to manage with three siblings helping and that was hard as a caretaker had to be paid on a monthly basis as well. It was like getting blood out of a stone to get their funds so I decided that we need to sell a plot to be able to fund the houses upkeep and our travel expenses. Everyone had a "share " but no one was willing to share for the maintenance. That was when it was Mums smart idea to sell one plot and invest it so we regularly had money to pump into the old homestead.


The boys give gifts for the house where they went with Grandpa.

It took 4 years to be able to identify a plot and identify the buyers. Every time we went down we searched and no one was interested but I never gave up. Finally a lawyer gave me a tip and I contacted the buyers keeping my sister Christine, brother Mark and Mum in the loop. Mum was excited as she could see me struggle. "If its done you wont have to beg every year,"she said as she saw me flagging in wanting to handle the house. Finally after four long years of haggling and negotiating I got a sale and invested the funds into a bank. Mum was gone by then but luckily had signed everything to clear the way. The plan was very simple -- Goa property -- sell to support the maintenance of the family home, nothing else.  All agreed and all signed and it was a huge relief when it finally was closed.


Banging the mud collected in over head beams by termites. 

We dont have holidays, we spend the week cleaning and seeing to various issues in the house which make the boys really angry. " You never have a holiday when you go there,"they rant and rave, but I promised Dad and my ancestors who's grand pics hang in the hall. We are comfortable in Hayes Road because of them. I struggled for 30 years with a greedy family that starved us, at last I have money to live thanks to my ancestors. Every morning the first thing I do as I pull on my trainers is be thankful to them.


Replacing broken tiles

Madam fire ho gayaa meter me! says the caretaker worriedly. Lucky I was there and put it out he says. Get into the car and lets go I say, worried that the whole house could be reduced to cinders. It was a really old meter anyway and needed changing. The cost was large but I did not have to beg anyone for funds, as Mum prophetically said -- I had the large sum to just replace with a brand new meter and wiring. 

Another time we were going down to pay the taxes and the caretaker called saying there was a huge storm and a big tree had fallen across the road and onto our electric wires leading to the house. I have to call the electrician to replace the whole wire from the pole or you wont have electricity. Another large sum that I had and could send immediately to get the job done before we landed. Pradeep the young electrician from the village was good and I was glad we had him to handle our jobs.


Cleaning white pomfret -- thanks to Mammas lessons!

The cousin in the big house has broken dozens of tiles in the dining room says the caretaker -- taking out his mangoes. The rains have begun and the house will get damaged. Lucky we had bought about 50 tiles and kept in the store which was a godsend at short notice. There were always fights when we were young as it was difficult for Dad to replace. Now I just bought the tiles and that was that. 

The tank in the house is over flowing and the beams under it are rotting. We are present when Gopal the senior plumber arrives with his toothless grin. Hes in his 70s but climbs the ladder like a 20 year old. I need a ball valve and stop cock he says. Bonny who is always ready to help like he did in Dads time takes Gopal to the Verem shops and  buys the needed stuff. Thankfully its fixed and since he is around all the flush tanks are also checked.


 

Ofcourse I lathered them with Rechardo masala before frying

The whole of the front and back is over grown with weeds. I need to scythe them before you land. Get it done I say and its a relief watching the man with the scythe clean out the back especially from where snakes enter the house. The well needs to be done as the stupid neighbour has fixed a pump ot it. Three of the four walls have collapsed into the water. It will cost at least 50 k says the caretaker plus the cost of the stones. I baulk not cause I did not have the funds --as it would mean my having to spend 2 weeks getting it done. The woman would not take out her pump so leave it. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.


The Pilerne fields with the cross.

The woman has decided to take over our property on the other side of her house. They were servants in the house a couple of generations ago and were given the hut to help the old family. Now they are a thorn in our sides. I have to get poles and demarcate our property and fix a gate. Costs  money and I am again thankful I do not need to beg anyone. I get the local welder Ranbir to weld and fix a small gate which opens into our property and the poles demarcate our land going to the back. My brother in his great wisdom broke down the outside toilet and used the stones, so now she was trying to claim that whole area including the wells. Again running to the survey office and getting the forms we proved it was ours and put up the poles.


 Weeds grow tall with the monsoon- a constant  battle.

We pest controlled the whole house which has been a massive relief for us all. I will never stop that even though its expensive as pest control is the only way to keep our beauty standing. The man and his team arrived from Mapuca and pest controlled the whole house, especially the roof and its surroundings for two whole days. God knows how much dirt and dust we inhaled. By the end of it we were exhausted but happy as we had a 5 year guarantee. I dont wait for five years -- sorry. Each time we go down I call Anand and say there's a spot which maybe imaginary to come and sort and he sends his team. We dont live there so its needed.


Making tea on the single burner stove

Its time again to go down to Pilerne-- I thank Mum everyday for having such a smart plan in place. Ofcourse the greedy sisters want everything on a platter -- just transfer 10 lakhs each says the one in Australia just cause I stopped looking after her apartments. Before that she signed and was very much part of the discussion with Mum. The sister in Bangalore is one better demanding shares and doing no work her duffer husband calling me a thief! ( Sticks and stones fella!) Oh just transfer they say-- really??


The beautiful San Jaon the Baptist Church

I love the house and I love Pilerne like Dad did. Go and scout -- find property and sell and give me my share madams -- I tell them both, like I did.Sit in survey offices get the surveyor, break a leg -- pay for it all.  I did not work to fatten your purses. I worked hard for the house and to keep my promise to Dad. Its really a shame when the sister who knew what we were doing and why, stirs up a hornets nest with the dumb younger sister. But then she has always behaved like that which is no different from the rest. Greed fuels them all, I'm done and dusted with platters. 

Go forth and speak to the muncards for our property, maybe they might give you one coconut for free.