Saturday, November 27, 2021

Escape from Pakistan by Debora Ann Shea




This is the cover Debbie always had from the start!


 It was out of the blues that I met an old Convent of Jesus and Mary, New Delhi, school mate. Debora Ann Shea. She had been my sister Christine’s classmate, but remembered me well ‘cause of my athletic prowess on the tracks she said. It was a very convivial meeting in her gorgeous home on Rest House Crescent. The house had belonged to the Demello’s when we were kids. It was an old ramshackle place where many brothers and their families lived. And then going into this plush and fabulous home, my jaw just dropped and stayed dropped for the whole of our meeting. What a change the Puravankaras had wrought. We had gone over after Mass in St Joe’s,  just to collect a donation to feed the poor by the Don Bosco fathers. Her brother in Australia who was visiting had connected and asked for my help.


Debbie and me!


We sat around the swimming pool while liveried waiters served us coffee and snacks, while a smiling and simple Debbie hung on my every word and told me how she was one of the adoring younger school kids who thought I was a star. Breaking two records in a Delhi state meet did give me the star status which I always shrugged off. No big deal really but so many remember me for it!



An old family friend speaks!


And HERE was Debbie -- fabulously wealthy Puravankara and yet so simple. I always say if you are born into opulence you remain simple, it’s the ones who never had who grow an obnoxious persona, which can be terribly disgusting, to those coming into contact with them.



Interior deco so tastefully done!


She had heard I ran a book club and wanted so much to publish a book she had wanted to write on her father Commodore Jack Shea. Ok I thought wryly -- here’s another rich, would be writer who wanted to be published. I was convinced by her to read  her manuscript and give her genuine feedback. How does one give genuine feedback to a school chum? I thought after reading a few chapters. It was awful, like a schoolgirl writing an essay.  




Debbie answers a question from the audience!

BUT the story was riveting -- I absolutely LOVED her story. It was quite like no other, but how do I tell her it needed to be turned on its head by editors. I am a professional editor and charge professional fees for my work, BUT how could I charge her and chop up her work? So I took the cowards way out and connected her to a friend in the next building who also does professional editing. Keerti called me and whispered --” What do we tell her?”  I said, “ Do what you can and then send it back” 




Keerti speaks!

Poor Keerti did as much as she could and sent it back. Then as usual guilt hit me. She had been so genuine with me and I needed to give her solid help. So, I called her and asked for a hard copy of the manuscript. In minutes her driver was at my door with the manuscript and the heliconias I requested for from Rest House Road park which they maintain.  Wielding a red pen like I do as a professor, I cut and chopped, shifted chapters. I was ruthless, BUT I called and said let's talk face to face.



Moderator in action!



The car and driver were at the gate and my resoluteness melted when I saw her eager, trusting face. How can I wet and diminish her dream I thought? Tread lightly you fire sign, with no diplomacy! Tea had been laid out with onion pakoras and other yummies but I had decided resolutely to be honest. We sat poring over the manuscript for an hour. And tactlessly I began -- “ Your story is great! But it won’t get published in this state!”


She took everything I said so simply and readily I was humbled and all my red marks were accepted willingly. Fill in another chapter here -- flesh out this chapter. This sounds odd here, on and on I droned with as much care as I could and she accepted it all the sweet person that she is. I have had idiotic kids in the newspaper offices arguing wth me over ridiculous changes in their silly newspaper reports and here was fabulously wealthy and gorgeous Debbie, who was as humble as anyone could be, just accepting all my changes with such good grace.




After the videos were played!

THAT is a true success story and success story she is today. She went to Penguin through a friend -- networks always help -- and got one of the greatest editors ever -- Satya Saran who had been Feminas editor to evaluate her manuscript. As expected -- it was a story like no other and Penguin snapped it up with editors working with her back and forth and only then closing the deal. It was the pinnacle of success, to have her story published by Penguin no less.


I handled her Bangalore launch. The book is called “ Escape from Pakistan”. She could have had Bollywood stars do the launch but NO, she asked only for me! She came back to me at the launch and said, “ You said it could not be published!” -- “ in that state!” I added. I did say that to her and the story is wonderful and worth any reader's time and patience. I handled her posh launch after she had one in Teen Murthi Bhavan in New Delhi! Her father would have been proud. My book club were her guests in her fabulous home. We did not need any silly hall in any silly club. The Lounge as it is called was festooned with the most resplendent and grand flower arrangements. Debbie was radiant and all my book club members feted her, while she wined and dined us with food from the Oberoi!


I am so proud that her book is doing so well. It’s a very sad story but we are advanced enough to understand that cultural norms set down by us, should be broken if necessary. No spoilers from me, but buy the book this Christmas and enjoy it. It’s available off Amazon and cheaper off Flipkart. 


https://www.amazon.in/Escape-Pakistan-untold-story-Jack/dp/0670096202/ref=asc_df_0670096202/?tag=googleshopdes-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=545033462822&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11196916880337421363&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9062017&hvtargid=pla-1422919703692&psc=1


Drive and determination is something one has to cultivate, it’s so easy to be lazy and be a has been -- but Debora Ann Shea  has proved to be her fathers daughter and I am happy to be an important part of her close family circle. Just sad my Mum and sister Christine missed being part of the launch!