Sunday, July 25, 2021

No cook mango ice cream!

 


Less than half the crop we got this year


If I can find easy recipes, that's truly me. Unlike my sister Christine who enjoys making the most difficult recipes very patiently. Rather than kill myself like I saw Mum do making icecreams for us five, I just buy the Amul icecreams from Big Basket and the men enjoy the cones and even the various 1 litre box icecreams.


But I wanted to give mango ice cream a try, because we always had mango icecream as kids and no store bought one could have our wonderful Mallikas or Raspuri mangoes from the farm in it. Most bought mango icecream will have a dash of mango and not like we make at home-- the BEST ingredients.


Saved boxes of pulp for the kids


So I scrolled and scrolled the net for a good mango icecream recipe. No boiling stuff which bubbled and burned hands like Mums. And lo, there was a quick one by a lady in Canada. It had NO cooking in it and was certainly a recipe I could try. So here’s the recipe.




The Ice cream reminds me of Dads bucket icecream as kids


Fresh Mango Icecream


1 ½ cup fresh mango scooped out of 2 mangoes

½ cup sugar

½ cup condensed milk

2 cups milk

1 tspn fresh lemon juice.


Method:

Combine mangoes and sugar and blend with mixer or smash with dal hand smasher till smooth.

Combine everything else and mix once again.

Pour into a stainless steel dish and cover with aluminium foil.

Semi set in freezer-- then take it out, beat well and return to the freezer.

Serve the following day in your prettiest ice cream bowls. You can add cubes of mango or cherries as deco.

 

My recipe tweaks: 1) I dont put ANY sugar as the mangoes from our farm are very sweet.

2) Don't miss out on the beating stage as that makes the icecream creamy rather than icicled.

3) Buy a large tin of Amul Mithai mate condensed milk so you can make it at least twice with the same tin.