Friday, January 22, 2021

Writing a sleep story

 


Whenever there is a writing opportunity, I get friends sending me the link from across the globe, where I can send in a story to compete.That’s how I got noticed in the by the CommonWealth writers association  and my book “ Above the Ricefields of Pilerne” written 10 years ago got noticed and and was quoted in a paper covering Indian English Literature!  So, here was a friend who found a link asking for a Sleep Story. The Covid pandemic has begun to throw up various genres of writing and this is the newest one on my plate.


So, I tried to imagine what a sleep story was and got my thinking cap on and sent in the first 500 words for approval. “I love your writing style,” said the editor, “BUT a sleep story is just that. You need to put the listener to sleep!”





And he sent me a couple of recordings  to listen to. They were outstandingly beautiful, especially the one read by Stephen Fry all about the lavender fields in France. Sigh! I just loved his sonorous tone and the timbre of his voice was so relaxing. I could almost smell the lavender fields, which I smell everyday, with my quick shower after my jog.


Obviously I had to write about something unusual for him to even look at it and most of all to write about something I could write with passion about. What better than my little village of Pilerne in Goa. So, I sat down one morning beginning to write and by nightfall I had finished, pouring out 3000 words that he required.





No, I don't suffer from the proverbial writer’s block. I don’t understand that concept because I write only on things I feel strongly about. Don't attempt to write about anything if it SOUNDS nice. You have to feel it and let it flow out of you.


Then I took three days letting my eye run over it. Back and forth, tweaking the teasing out the beauty of the village into a word picture.Great events turn on small hinges, remember that when writing and editing. And also remember that all information is available to anyone with a keyboard and a wifi connection. If you lie when you write, it will come back to haunt you! 





I waited with bated breath and he came back with one line -- “ I love your story Dr. de Nazareth!” All these titles mean a lot in the academic, writing world. I consider them smudges on my record!I just enjoyed the studying part.


Then my sister in Australia said -- “ You need to read your own story. Remember the awful job done with your last book? The accent was frightful.” So! I took courage since I have done years of voice overs for Pearson's Education and asked if I could read my own Sleep Story.





“ Send me a couple of paras and let me decide!” I was told.


“ So simple Mum! Just use the recording app on the phone I gave you,” said one of my sons. And I did, I record on silent and quiet mornings where there are no yowling dogs and louder conversations.


So now! I have not just written my story, I am going to have the pleasure of recording it with my own voice too! Life is good, it’s fun, and technology has made me do stuff I never thought possible.Including lecturing to PG students online and being an external examiner as well for PG and now PhD vivas as well.My parents will be pleased.