Thursday, September 5, 2019

Terra Vera on St. Mark's Road, Bangalore


As a child my mother told me that Terra Vera on St. Mark’s Road had been a pretty fancy hotel. There was a Vaz family who ran it when she was a young bride, just come to Bangalore and it was considered posh to go there and ‘take’ an English tea with cucumber sandwiches and scones. Later when we came to live in Bangalore, which was several decades later and I saw the decaying house, as I passed it, to go for my German classes to the Max Muller on Museum Road, it scared me. It was extremely run down and had a Hillman Minx car in the portico. The textured walls were crumbling, but behind the grime one could tell that it was beautiful once upon a time. The place was overgrown and no one seemed to live there. It was damaged by felons and criminals and the windows seemed broken and in a terrible condition. And the massive Rain trees that grew on the pavement, could have told us tales about the house, which could have filled a book.
Amidst several high rise buildings, swanky stores and restaurants, the abandoned house located in prime property on St Marks road remained a mess to passersby. To me the house stood tired, broken, and falling apart – painting a rather sad picture. Though I'd always wondered about this building, I’ve never actually bothered to find out more about the place. It came as a shock when the newspapers ran a story saying two old sisters-- Dulcie and Vera Vaz lived in the house in abject penury.They had another sister -- a Joy Preston who lived on Albert Street.
A few years later a news report was published that a 75 year old woman residing on St Mark’s Road was stabbed to death by an unidentified person in her house early in the morning. “Dulce Vaz was killed in front of her 80-year-old sister Vera, who could do nothing except scream at the fleeing murderer.”
At the time I wrote stories for a column called Back and Forth in the Deccan Herald. And I was writing about the Tunbridge Building on Infantry Road. There I met Vera Vaz who had taken refuge in the hostel in Tunbridge as she was sure the felons would kill her next. She did not want to speak about Tera Vera and her past and did not want to disclose her whereabouts, fearful for her life.
Eileen in 1948 standing with her cousins infront of what was called the Manel Guest House then. Then my interest grew when Eileen, a friend who is on FB, and who lives in the UK wrote asking me to take pictures of the place, as she had visited Terra Vera as a child. She said it had been a beautiful place.
Reading up on the building I learned that it was built in 1943 by an Anglo-Indian lawyer EJ Vaz, and on his death the house was gifted to his spinster daughters, Vera and Dulce Vaz. The report went on to say “ it is among the top most haunted places in Bangalore.” Vera was an English tutor, while Dulce a piano instructor. The two sisters were the only occupants of the house until 2002, when the tragic murder happened.”
Quoting the report --“Dulce, the 75-year-old younger sister was killed by a youth in front of Vera, the elder sister, who broke into the house at midnight. It was well past midnight when Vera, who was asleep, heard her sister scream for help. She came out of her room and saw a youth running away after assaulting her sister. She shouted at him, but could not do anything else.” “Dulce was buried in the house and Vera was asked to move to a safer location by the police. The case remains unsolved to this day,” said the report. This was the era when Bangalore was rocked by several murders of old and infirm residents, who lived alone in their large bungalows.
The house was demolished in February 2014. Precious belongings in the house like the furniture and a vintage car remained untouched till then. Also, the stories continued and I laughed when one of the kids in my class wanted to do a story on the ‘haunted’ house. He said people who reside around have heard screams, a face appearing out of the windows, colder temperature in a few rooms and the sound of a piano being played. Terra Vera, the ‘haunted house’ on St Mark’s Road, was finally razed in 2019 and my picture shows the new glitzy glass and chrome structure. The 10,000-sq ft property was the butt of endless spooky stories and finally could have been sold for Rs 20 crore. Who got the money is anyone’s guess.

19 comments:

  1. Did you visit that place directly? Cause I am tried to find that villa but I didn't find yar. Please share if you have pictures of your incident. visit2mahi@gmail.com this is my mail ID

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't find it because it was slresdy demolished in 2014 yar.

      Delete
    2. My first office was next to the building in 2007. We used to go there every day but didn't enter inside the boundary.
      But now the haunted house is not there. A big building has been constructed at the place of haunted house. Golden old days

      Delete
    3. Are you talking about the Toyota office on St. Marks road?

      Delete
  2. This place is gone. I knew both of them. Vera Vaz was a Piano teacher while her sister was a English techer. I still remember he telling me that we should never say " we will do it" the right way to say it is" We shall do it" I had spend hours in their house bringing them batter fried fish which they loved. If we started a conversation with them it would go on for upto 6-8 hours and we would keep speaking. There was a small outhouse where the old ladies would sit and chat. The piano was inside and was completely out of tune. There was a large painting of Dulcie Vaz and she would tell me about the multiple men who had a crush on her in her hey days. Both the ladies had a bath probably once a month or probably never. They did speak a lot about their links to Mr Pv Narasimha Rao. They also bad mouthed their third sister who had married and was staying in Frazer town somewhere and was running after their property. They had some other cases filed against the property too. There was a room right next to where they sat and there were newspapers hoarded from the last 30 years and i am not joking . It was filled. The ladies would keep sipping rum and kept smoking all the time, especially Dulcie. We also had them visit our place once and have fried fish.We have pictures of them at our place too. I will share them when i get a change. this is what i remember of them. These are memories i have when I was studying in St Josephs PU college in the era 1997-1999. Thats the time when I went for piano classes. Thats when they came home too. I met them later in the year 2001/2002 casually and I kinda remember that too.I still remember Dulcie wore a Black gown and Vera a Purple one when they visited us. They sat on two single cane chairs in the outhouse. I was always curious to know how the plan of the house was. IN the year 2014 or so when they brought down the house,i got some pictures from outside of the same cane chairs and the piano was thrown outide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do feel free to contac tme on 9886496327 or on imailarvind@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some more info which i didnt know https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyoO_1NqdcA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this true. Had anybody seen the ghost...where s the other sister. Was she married.. who took her property. Where s the excat location....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the surviving sister got the property -- Joy Preston.

      Delete
  6. I want to film a webseries on this is anyone interested in this ping me radhakrishnabablu123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im also interested if you can please give me one chance nagarajabca6@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. Yo brother sure would be excited to give it a shot depends on the role mail me on andystark.developer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was an article in Bangalore Mirror, don't know the exact year (2008 or 2009) that a group of paranormal investigators visited Vaz Villa one night and reported strange happenings. Surprisingly,I cant find that article anywhere on net.
    Apart from the so called bad reputation of being haunted, I guess it's the sadness that comes with gradual decay and destruction of an old bungalow.
    A property feud gone too far to become a topic of mystery and gossip, that's all there is to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will go to see it tomorrow I am planning to buy this terra vera house and solve the problem of the house

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a wrong place because it is not for sale I have went to the location given in Google Chrome it was fake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you went to that place, and mentioning its a fake location, are you sure, because i am looking to buy it

      Delete